Monday, March 2, 2009

Training Week Feb 23 - March 1 & Merco Races

I really ejnoyed the Merco Races this weekend. Very well organized and fun events. I had several family members come out to watch the crits who had never been to a bike race before and they said it was a lot more exciting than they expected.

Thank you to the organizers for putting on a great couple of races!

So, what did I do last week....

Monday - Lunch spin class (55 min)
Tuesday - Evening GG Park ride - 4 x 6 miles tempo with half lap sprints every 5 min. (15:05, 14:54, 14:30, 14:41) - 2:00 total riding.
Wednesday - Lunch spin class (50 min)
Thursday - Lunch spin class (45 min)
Friday - Lunch spin class (50 min)
Saturday - Merco Crit - Eventually got into a 7 man break that was reduced to 5. We had 2 with Lyman and I, but unfortunately didn't use it to our advantage and got 4th & 5th in the sprint. (2:15 total riding) (Note to self, CONSERVE and save something for the sprint next time).

Sunday - Merco RR - Great workout - There were a couple nasty crashes. I saw D'Aluisio go down right in front of me and missed running him over by the narrowest of margins. I hope he and everyone else are OK. I spent most of the day chasing down or getting into breaks. In the 2nd half of the first lap, I got in a 2 man break with Bryant that lasted several miles. Things looked good when Drywall bridged up with Van Sickle, but we were brought back shortly after that.
Late in the race I was in another break with Sayers, Martin, Nunes and another guy. We had the horsepower to make it to the finish, but too much infighting led to our defeat. It was for the best for our team since I would have at best been 4th in the sprint and we ended up with a 3rd from Cole. (Now there's a smart racer, I need to take lessons from him on conserving energy). (3 hour total ride)


Weekly totals: 7:15 riding, 3:20 spin classes - 10:35 total.

3 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

nice work!
sounds like merco RR was a crash fest all around. Mike was airlifted from the E3s race. He's going to be ok, but has a small fracture of his skull.

phipps said...

Ali,

Yikes! So sorry to hear about Mike's crash. Glad to hear he's going to be OK, but a skull fracture sounds pretty bad. I wish him a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Haha wierd. I googled my name (Chris Phipps) and this came up.

Yep...>.>