Sunday, May 18, 2008

No longer a track virgin

I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life and even lived in San Jose for 2 years, but had never even been to Hellyer Park.  Since I wasn't road racing this weekend I decided to give it a try and went to a beginner session.  I rented a Bianchi Pista (with the bars way higher than I like) for $5 and was ready to roll.  After our group of about 14 did a 40 lap warm-up, Mark (no way he's 55!) had us do some bumping drills, and we practiced attacking solo and in 2's and 3's and even had a mock scratch race of 10 laps.  It was a good time.

I hope to make it out there next Friday to watch some real racers and maybe in a few weeks I can try a Tuesday or Wednesday night race.

I don't think track will ever by my thing, but it certainly should help my road racing, especially my lack of finishing speed.

No comments: